Sunday, August 5, 2012

Upate: Mac OX Mountain Lion

This weekend is a long weekend. I scheduled to update my Mac OX to Mountain Lion this weekend, today. Mountain Lion was released on July 25, 2012. Based on the information on web, I did my planning for this update: 1) keep my OX update, 2) clean my HD, and 3) run time-machine backup.

The first thing what I did this morning after getting up was to download Mountain Lion. I knew it would take some time to get the package, 4.3GB. That was smart decision. During the download, I cleaned up myself.  Soon I saw the first update screen.


According to information shared by other people on web, it is the time to make a copy of the installation package. Otherwise, the package would be removed automatically after the update. I don't want to download it again for another Mac. I found the installation from Finder, and I made a copy of the installation package.


Before proceeding the installation, I used Finder's AirDrop feature to copy the installation package to my another iMac 21". First, I went to my iMac 21 box, open Finder, and made sure the AirDrop is open. Then I could see my iMac 21" from my installation Mac. I drag and drop the installation package to iMac 21", and click on Send button.


At the other end of iMac 21", I click on Save button to accept the drop through air. Since the package is 4.3GB, it took a while to get the package copied over.


It was time ready to install Mountain Lion. The installation was very straightforward. During the update wizard process, I had to provide admin credentials.






The following is the screen photo after the restart. This the most lengthy part of the update, 34 minutes.



After reboot, I was back to normal login screen. Everything was so familiar after login. I saw the iCloud window prompt out. However, I had difficulty to sign in to my iCloud. The spinning rainbow wheel was running forever. I was not sure if the iCloud was down or something else was stuck. My iMac 21 was working fine without any issue when I did OS update. Finally I had to kill the window and restart my Mac. After that, the iCloud sign in was quick and OK.



The following is the comparison of spaces used before and after of the updates:

Command: df -lakUsed(Kilobytes in 1024-blocks)
Before...2,521,728
After Downloaded...6,860,896
After Installed...2,340,932
Difference (AD-B)4,339,165
Difference (AI-B)-180,796

No comments: