Sunday, December 8, 2019

Watch AppleTV on AppleTV Device

Recently I joined Apple TV subscription by using family sharing. I can watch AppleTV content on my iPhone and Mac computers. However I could not watch the content on my AppleTV device straight through AppleTV app(TV app in short). On my other devices, I can watch TV content when I open TV app since I use the same AppleID with family sharing setting. On my AppleTV device, when I open the TV app, I get prompt to sign in with password for my AppleID. There is no problem to sign in, but I see Trial icon which is not showing on my other devices.

I could mirror or redirect content from my other Apple devices to my big TV screen, but it is painful to watch high resolution TV streaming in this way, always stuck or spinning wheels on screen. My device is 3rd generation one.

After several days trying and investigation, I could not find solution. I decided to get help from Apple. I found Apple support from web. I clicked on call support link from my AppleID page, I was told that Apple support would call me directly. That's new and interesting. Indeed, I got a call from Apple in no time. It was about 8pm on Saturday night.

I explained my issue. The support person actually was not the right one for this issue, but I was forward to multimedia streaming support department.

Solution: Password+Passcode


To cut the story short, the solution is very simple. In the sign in prompt when I open TV app, I was told to type in my AppleID password plus passcode. The passcode can be get from my iPhone. In settings, tap on my name, then Password & Security. Scroll down there is Get Verification Code link to get passcode.

That's very wired and so simple. This requirement is one time. After that, I don't see Trial icon and no need to sign in again. Now I can enjoy my AppleTV content straight from my AppleTV device!

No comments: