Sunday, January 19, 2020

Remove Sunflower Sound Source Drive

I installed Sunflower sound drive long time ago. From System Preferences or Sound source list, 2 soundflower items are displayed. Since this sound source is not working well in Mac OS Catalina, and I have never used it as audio output, I need to remove them.

I found that sound items were installed as extensions to Mac. I don't have original package with uninstaller, hence, I have to manually remove them. Here are steps I found:


  1. Open Terminal
  2. Change folder to /Library/Extensions

    cd /Library/Extensions

  3. Check soundflower is there with command

    ls Soundflower.kext

  4. Remove it with the command

    sudo rm -rf Soundflower.kext

  5. Reboot
After reboot, soundflower items are no longer in audio output list.

One more interesting I found that in the folder of /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/, I can still see Soundflower.kext file there, but I cannot remove it with above command. Anyway, the removal seems working fine in terms audio output list, I don't bother to figure out how to remove it from the second place.

No comments: