Thursday, December 30, 2021

Secret Cache of WeChat

By chance, yesterday when I clicked on a message with a link to a document file in Mac's WeChat app, I was prompt to Finder. To my surprice, this is a deep and secret space where WeChat stores temporary files.

Further exploration, I found its path from file info in Finder.

From there I copied the full path from Where. Here is the full path
/Users/xxx/Library/Containers/com.tencent.xinWeChat/Data/Library/Application Support/com.tencent.xinWeChat/2.0b4.0.9/f5210b300b4abef170762c8c1ddf67c5/Message/MessageTemp/2d14efe546045554426bdf707c13cead

I understand that WeChat saves some information such as images, files, videos in local cache so that there would be no need to download those information again for displaying (and much qicker) when user clicks on thos items. However, I don't know where they are and how long those items are stored, forever?

From this sneak, I could go up to other folders to see what items are saved. There are quite a lots of items in this library cache. I guess that those items would be purgeble items in system cache.

No comments: